1. Always, always and always follow your instincts. Imagine your instinct is like your guardian angel that is watching over you. It warns you when you're about to make a mistake, take a wrong decision and seriously get into trouble. It hollers into your ear when you're about to do something absolutely foolish. We sometimes choose to ignore our instincts. We know at the back of our minds that we're probably making a mistake, but there's something that attracts us towards it. So we do it anyway. And that is when we get into trouble.
2. Work towards your goals, one day at a time, every day. Every day, every hour work towards your goals. Be clear about what you want and then go after it with all your might. I have learnt that starting with small goals and then building the momentum towards your big goal works. It is easier than starting big and being unable to sustain the pace.
3. It is better to make a mistake than have regrets about something grand that you missed. I've learnt that regret is worse, much worse than recovering from a misstep. When you're unsure about something and only fear holds you back, go ahead and do it. It may turn out to be a mistake, but at least it will not be a regret on your death bed.
4. Express yourself completely. When it comes to expressing your thoughts, feelings and emotions, do not hold back. Do not bottle up feelings. It will hurt you in the long run and people will not really know you. They will know only a sliver of your personality.
5. Now is the time. Life changes in a heartbeat. You may think that you have time to take that trip with your family or start that online business. But tomorrow, something may come up that makes your plan no longer possible. So whatever you want to do, do it today. Want to write a best-seller? Why not start now? It may not be your best work, but you've begun your journey towards your goal.
6. Plan your day, every hour and every minute of it. I have realized that the most precious commodity is time. It is our currency while we live. Once we run out of it, it's game over. Each one of us is born with finite time on Earth. Use it wisely so that you do not regret wasting your life later. Fill your day with productive activities that take you closer to your goal. Most importantly, don't waste your time.
7. "If you do not make time for exercise, you will have to make time for illness." I've read this quote somewhere and it is so true. Incorporate fitness and healthy eating habits into your life. Years from now, you will be glad you did. We take our health for granted and realize our folly only when we fall sick. Exercise every day.
8. Listen to advice, but make your own decisions. A lot of us, usually when we're young, end up making poor choices based on well-meaning advice of others, usually those elder to us. Listen to advice but do what you think is right. It is after all your life and you have to live it. You, and nobody else, is responsible for the decisions you make.
9. Only you can save yourself. Yes, only you can. Not your parents, or your siblings, or your spouse, or your kids or your friends. If you're going through something, only you have the power to pull yourself out of it and start to rebuild your life.